I hit a new low in KVegas. I had to run to Walmart after class the other day which I generally try to avoid during daytime hours due to the chaos that provokes claustrophobia and anxiety as well as trying to avoid the interesting specimens that creep out from under their rocks during the daylight hours. Upon completing my race through the aisles and speedy checkout I was heading out of the store when I noticed that the woman walking in the entrance was in fact a related-to-by-marriage cousin. I can't lie, I totally timed my exit so as to avoid her. As I was dodging the insanely bad drivers of Kirksville, I laughed to myself that I was having to hide from family members in this far away from home place. A reminder that even though I claim the Seattle area as home, this was a second home long before I started going to grad/med school here.
Sadly, this local family shrunk in size this weekend. Though maybe not completely unexpected, my uncle passed away suddenly over the weekend. I'm glad he is in a better place and not in anymore pain but worry about my aunt. Talking to her afterward, she was very shaken, feeling alone, and confused. Her life which completely revolved around her husband has now been permanently disrupted.
With events like those of this weekend, it reminds me what my priorities are. Family has always been first to me and if I have to put the other things that are happening in my life on hold to make sure my family is taken care of and supported, then without hesitation that is what I shall do. After all, priorities aren't just what you tell people but how you respond when the time comes. What is your first priority and would you actually act on that if you had to make a decision?
No comments:
Post a Comment