Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Tooth Fairy Failed Me This Time

Today did not go as expected. The tooth was cracked down to the root making it unstable and impossible to put a crown on. So instead I got to go to an oral surgeon this afternoon to have the rest of the tooth removed and some dead person's bone fragments packed into the hole left by my once amazing front tooth. I now have to wait for this bone to hopefully attach to my own bone which will take 4-6 months. After that has happened, I will have a titanium rod implanted in the bone and then another waiting period before they can put the crown on the implant. Almost a whole year before the problem is fixed! Luckily I do get a temporary tooth but have to wait till the graft heals enough to not disrupt the osteogeneration (2 weeks). This whole thing seems like a metaphor for life/getting into med school. Nothing ever happens the way you expect or when you want it to.

No comments: