So I learned how to gain the maximum amount of respect from the guys I play ultimate frisbee with. It involves a long pass, being in the perfect position, a missed defensive block, snow, and eventually buckets full of hot tub water. Every year there are a select group of ultimate frisbee players that (possibly idiotically) look forward to playing in the snow. So we finally had a Friday open where people didn't need to be studying or at some meeting and there was enough snow to make it worth it.
We had been playing for about half an hour, sliding around in the snow and laughing at one another. It was great fun. Then came the pass that ended our fun. It was launched from about half a field away and being the only person on my team close to it, I of course went for it. The guy defending me was closer to the frisbee but being a little above us, he had to jump for it. He missed knocking it down but tipped it just slightly to redirect its path. My reaction just wasn't quick enough and at the same time I caught the back end of the frisbee, the front end hit my front tooth. And that was the demise of my right front tooth, well a majority of it anyway. It now sits in my fridge in a glass of milk.
So I have been toothless for over three days now. I guess I am starting to really fit in here in Kirksville. Ugh... Not having seen a dentist in the area, nobody was willing to see me over the weekend and the three day weekend meant tomorrow is the soonest I could be seen. Hoping the dentist here can fix it or else I have to drive the hour and a half to Columbia.
The great part about this whole ordeal was all the support that poured in. I had people calling and texting to see what they could do for me or bring me or if I was okay or if I needed someone to drive me to and from the dentist..... People are great. It was kind of funny sitting in my car watching how all the guys sprung into action. The guy that was defending me and happens to be shadowing a dentist and going to dental school next year jumped in his car to go track down the dentist he shadows. Another guy ran to get me pain relievers. Others went on the search for my missing tooth. And the remainder stayed by my side to make sure I was okay.
My favorite moment was after talking to my dad who had spoken with my dentist and told that it would be helpful if I could find my tooth so I went back out to the field to look for my tooth. I guess that I should feel good that my teeth are so white that they can't be found in the snow but at the time it was rather frustrating. The boys that were still around followed me out and we began our search. I made a joke about the guys peeing in the snow to melt it which got us thinking that we should get a bucket and find some hot water to melt the snow where we thought the tooth could be. So one guy ran in to get a bucket and resorted to taking water from the gym's hot tube to help our cause. The boys took turns bucketing the water from the gym, across the parking area, and down the field a little. It only took three guys/bucket fulls before we found my tooth buried in the snow. I am not going to let myself think about the people that go in that hot tube or why the water is the color that it was. Whatever, it worked.
Early in the morning, I finally get to venture into the dentist. I have never minded going into the dentist because I have always had great checkups but I have never been so excited to go see the dentist. I completely took for granted having good teeth or being able to smile without embarrassment. I missed being able to smile and laugh and talk without people seeing my dental wax filled gap. Definitely appreciating all those little things right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment