Sunday, January 24, 2010

Here I go....

So my planless Spring break has just been loaded up. As plans stand now, I am going to Haiti with a group from ATSU-KCOM. It has all happened pretty fast and there is still a lot left to do. When we were tossing back and forth the idea, I talked to people who asked me why I was going because it was kind of scary place. My feeling is that if everyone stays away because something is scary then nothing will ever get fixed. This is a place that has needed help for a long time and this devastation has just shed a glimpse into the grim conditions that grip this country. If you have not read Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder, I highly highly suggest it. An amazing book about the great things one person can do. It follows the work of Dr. Paul Farmer who has been on a couple of evening news programs recently being interviewed about the status of Haiti. He is the type of doctor a lot of us here strive to be but in all reality it baffles us how he is able to keep it up and hasn't collapsed from exhaustion a million times. I hope we are able to go over and help the people that have been depicted in the pages of this book and in the pictures that cross my television each night.

No comments: