Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Next Spring

So I am thinking about going to Africa next year with my friend Lia. We are not sure where yet but we are both thinking about whether or not medicine is the right place for us and we think this could be a real eye opening experience. We are looking at a pediatric volunteer program. We will see what happens.

1 comment:

Mykaila said...

Not to tread on your parade...
That would be a lot of fun, and a big adventure.

But I want to remind you that you don't have to go far for an eye-opening experience as far as the medical field goes.

Within 100 miles of my home there are people living in worse living conditions than I thought could exist in this country. Just because it's a cause I'm extremely passionate about, I would reccommend looking into medical and volunteer organizations that work with migrant farmworkers.
I don't know... a plus side would be that you can see the action in your own community, so near where you live. It's hearbreaking and (at least for me) makes you really want to do something about it. It's shocking that it can be so close to you; that you don't have to go to Africa or Haiti or Guatemala to see this problem.
It's right here.

Kids that don't get an education because they have to move so much and the only solution to that problem is to hire a teacher (it'd have to be teacherS) to travel with the groups up and down the coast. Same with doctors and dentists... and no one wants to live in their conditions, and honestly, I can't blame them. It's a very very difficult and primitive lifestyle they are forced to have. Families of 2-13 living in rooms smaller than my living room... don't even get me started on the bathrooms...
Can you imagine having to share your shower with 50 other people (4 "showers", 200+ residents) when it's really just a spigot or broken pipe coming out of a concrete wall?

Think about it, but if you want to head to Africa, I'm 150% supportive of that too. I just feel sad when people overlook the problems so close to home and go other places when we need it just as much here.

Either way, I love you and I wish you luck in your travels all over the world.

Rome is coming!
:D

You'll have to take lots of pictures and find internet cafes to blog about it. ;)