Friday, March 15, 2013

6/7

8 short weeks left!!!!

This last quarter was by far the toughest with the number of classes (Surgery, THE KILLER aka Principles of Medicine, Orthopedic Surgery, Women's Health, Pathology, Neuroscience, Pharmacology, Infectious Disease, and Osteopathic Theory and Methods; a lot of us also had an Ultrasound elective course) and the content of these courses was pretty brutal. It is typically the quarter that takes down some 2nd years and it followed suit this year. I was terrified I was going to be one of them but somehow I survived. It is hard to be excited about this though when talented, intelligent people including some of my good friends came in just a little short. They will have the chance to plead their case and possibly retake the final to see if they can earn enough points while others that have had to do that for previous quarters may be completely out. It is going to be a hard couple of weeks seeing people stressed out and potentially having to say goodbye to friends.

Okay, that was all the depressing stuff. We are on break this week. It has been so nice to sleep and catch up on non-med school related things. Board studying has been peppered in here and there but it isn't at the high stress level I'm sure it will reach in a month or two. I also got the chance to escape Kirksville for a couple of days and enjoy the hustle and bustle of a real college town. I may or may not have made three Starbucks stops today knowing that I will only be leaving K-Vegas once in the next two months. Don't judge, I'm from Seattle. That's completely normal.

Yesterday, the four of us who will be moving to Jefferson City in July were able to go down to the hospital and have a little meet and greet. Originally it was just to be a short little tour for the two guys who had never been to Jeff City but the hospital ended up turning it to a pre-orientation to the hospital. They answered questions, gave us a run down of things we need to know, we went on a tour of the hospital (we all got texts during this that our grades came out so the four of us got on our phones at the same time to check and all four of us are still on track for July), introductions to some of the physicians and staff, and then we went to the Community Health Center where our Director of Student Medical Education (DSME) works. I am 110% positive that I chose the perfect place for rotations. Everyone we encountered was so welcoming and excited for us to be there. The 3rd year student who took us around the hospital took the four of us out for ice cream to celebrate passing Principles too! Basically, it is an awesome site and I can't wait for July.

Besides that, nothing much has changed. I'm too busy with school to do anything that would give rise to any good stories. Maybe in the next half of this crazy ride that is med school I will get some good stories to tell.

No comments: