Happy Independence Day! As I sit here watching the celebrations occurring around the country to celebrate our nation (or in other words blowing crap up) I have been thinking about one of the reasons for declaring our independence: freedom of religion. When it comes to my religious views, I have always felt that it is a personal issue. I have never felt the need to justify my beliefs to anyone and I hope no one feels the need to justify theirs to me. Saying "I know God" has never really made sense to me, I would say it is more accurate that He knows me and has blessed me in so many ways. I pray nightly but I don't allow myself to pray for things for me, instead I pray for others as I feel I have been given much more than I deserve. I am not a Christmas and Easter only church attendee but my pre-block test Sundays definitely could use some improvement.
I have always felt called to be a physician and I believe that I was given the talents and opportunities to make that happen. If I neglected those talents than I would be turning my back on what I was given. So basically to cut to the chase of why this is on my mind, my parents and I have been attacked for our beliefs and in a passive aggressive way our careers have as well. To sum up a feeling that was presented in this attack "higher education brings you further from God". This is funny to me for so many reasons. For starters, way to bite the hand that fed you. Most importantly though, I think it is pretty hard to get into the health care field, care for people who are deathly ill and witness some one's life come to an end without having faith that someone up there knows what they are doing. Some of the most religious people I have ever come in contact with have been physicians and nurses. But forgive me, my education wrongly makes me think that caring for others is what God would want us to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment