Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sleepless in Seattle

Lots of caffeine, a dead possum, driving at 2am, and an old man spilling his drink all over my left side completed my surprise trip home for Mother's Day. I landed in Seattle on Friday and Maura took me to get flowers and a bow, of course after getting Taco Time. Maura went in to one of my mom's units first holding a white board that said "I got you a present. Happy Mother's Day." My mom was so confused and her eyes lingered on Maura even after I emerged from around the corner. When she saw me she started crying.

I was able to spend the weekend with her which included several movies, shopping, and making her dinner on Sunday. It was a much needed trip though very difficult. It is hard to put into words how much my mom has changed in just the month and a half I have been back out in Missouri. The most noticeable difference is probably her lack of balance and the way she walks. She has always been a fast walker and now is forced to take short little shuffles. She also looks about 10 years older and the hair that is coming back in is all gray. Her attitude is back to being pretty pessimistic, too.

Through everything my mom is going through, she continues to put Maura and I first. She is an amazing lady and truly deserves to be celebrated on Mother's Day. So glad that I was able to be with her this year.

No comments: