Thursday, March 24, 2011
It ain't about the cha-ching cha-ching, it ain't about the ba-bling ba-bling
I am so glad that in the last two years here I have met very few people that have left me questioning why they are going into this profession. With my mom's treatment, it seems like a constant parade of physicians who are just out to make a bunch of money and aren't in tune with their patients. It is sad that so many of them have come off as being completely unsympathetic. Maybe their schools didn't stress compassion but my foot is feeling pretty willing to share some compassion with their asses. My mom's current oncologist is still under the impression that scans after the completion of treatment aren't necessary and will only be doing them if she has suspicious symptoms. He also questioned the side effects my mom was having and tried to convince her that she was just hyperventilating. Not being able to feel or use one's legs is not a side effect of hyperventilating. Douche. With my adamant insistence, she has been seeking a second opinion from an oncologist she saw at Seattle Cancer Care after she was first diagnosed. Well this lady claims to be too busy and made her nurse call and tell my mom that she wouldn't be able to be seen there. Even the nurse was alarmed when my mom informed her that scans weren't on the agenda and all of the side effects she has been having and gave my mom her personal number to call. I am hearing all the strength that my mom had built up while I was home start to dwindle and she is back to feeling hopeless. It has really made me want to throw in the towel with this whole research project so I can be back there to help inspire my mom's orneriness. Over the phone just doesn't do the trick.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment