Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Monkey Card and The Start of a Picture Book

Those hiccups in life that make you question whether or not you are worthy of something, I have definitely had some of those. They break you down and kick you to the curb. It can take weeks, months, even years to rebound. Sometimes life deals you a bad hand and it seems like the bumps in the road just keep coming. They have an additive power that acts like quicksand, bringing you further and further down.

Then there are best friends. Friends that stick by you even when you are a complete pain to be around. They put up with you even when the fun, happy you has been on hiatus off and on since before Scrubs switched networks and the last presidential primaries were about halfway through. Along the way, they cleaned up the wounds, applied the bandaids, and waited for the healing. It wasn't a perfect time but it brought us closer and some of the routine random acts of reminding each other how much we appreciate one another are still in full swing.

I received a reminder today that erased some of that unworthy feeling that took up residence in my head after an intense bout of hiccups. There have been a lot of changes that have allowed for the chipping away at the doubt to occur and with that comes the need for me to be able to identify things about myself. The good and the bad.

So this year, I am not going to boycott. I am celebrating. Some think it is salt in a wound and it has been designated by some as a pity party kind of day. This time I am not going to be sick with my sister on the couch or living in the past. The past year may have felt like sandpaper but it gave me a lot to look forward to, a test of my optimism, and respect for all the things I have. A few of those things are LOVE, HOPE, and FAITH and I have never given up on any of them. So here is to a day that in a way celebrates all of those. I do enjoy watching the older gentleman that comes out of the floral shop with a beautiful bouquet of white tulips and red roses to give his wife. People in the Midwest are very sentimental. It is rubbing off.

No comments: