Sunday, November 14, 2010

Here goes....

Tomorrow holds infinite possibilities. My suit is picked out, questions prepared, and file reviewed. Now I just have to wait for the next twelve hours to pass so I can complete the motions. It is really nice this time being able to sleep in my own bed the night before and not staying in a crappy hotel. Will I be staying in Kirksville for another two years???? We shall see.

My biggest fear about tomorrow is that I will be asked a question in which a response may go near the topic of cancer or my mom or her battle. I have done a lot of prepping with friends to get used to that subject and not getting overly emotional. I don't want to make the interviewer uncomfortable or question whether or not I am emotionally capable of taking on medical school at the moment. If anything, the last two weeks have strengthened my desire to go into medicine as well as given me a new understanding of the emotions of a situation like this from a patient's perspective.

My mom has cleared the first hurtle but many more lie ahead. Next month with be the start of chemo and that will be the real test. She is refusing to let my dad or sister take care of her which we expected. She is changing her own drains, getting herself food and whatever else she needs. The only things she is really allowing them to do are starting fires and making coffee runs. At least she hasn't lost the personality we all know even though she is heavily medicated, a great relief to me.

No comments: