Monday, April 14, 2008

Things I have learned in a month

1. Life never turns out how you think it will
2. For me, love is not a switch that can be flipped on and off
3. Silence can hurt far more than words
4. Putting on a happy face so you stop being asked if you are okay is exhausting
5. Being hugged breaks down all the strength I have tried to build up
6. Nights are the hardest
7. True friends are irreplaceable

I am still trying to understand the saying "it is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all". I think knowing all the little things that I am missing out on makes it the hardest and it might have been better to not have known how much those little things meant. I am trying to be strong, I am trying to be me, I am trying to keep my life together, but right now it just doesn't make any sense and the unknown is terrifying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I have always agreed with you on this one. I have always thought that the whole "better 5 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special" crap they pull in Steel Magnolias is completely bogus.

For me, in addition to losing the person, pain came from losing what I thought my life was going to be. I would rather have never known than feel that kind of loss. I cannot reason with it nor logically make it fade. It just plain hurts. Hard. For as long as it does, and then, mercifully, it lifts.

And it does lift. Believe this.