Sunday, August 4, 2013

Month #2

Life has not slowed down at all. I always laughed it off when friends would tell me the last two years of med school would go super fast. They weren't lying. Thursday was my last day on my family med rotation and I was really sad to leave. In the past month, I have developed relationships with the staff and some of the frequent flyer patients at the clinic. I am honestly considering stopping by to say hi to one of the admitted patients that I rounded on last week. I would be lying if I didn't say I was more than a little stressed about my new rotation especially since I feel like my last one ruined me because it was so fantastic. 

Round 2 starts in the morning with internal medicine. On the service with me will be three residents so I will be the low man on the totem pole. And one of them happens to be our chief resident. Oh joy. I think it's safe to say that this rotation is going to take a whole lot more work than my family med stint. The physician starts off each morning with a little learning session where we start running down what we know about a chosen topic and then after a while he adds in missing details. So no matter how exhausted I am at the end of the day, I'm going to have to come home and put in some work for the next day rather than crashing. Bummer. But I should come out at the end having learned a bunch. 

Tomorrow we also add three more students into the mix from the Kansas City school. The four of us from Kirksville have gotten super duper close during the last month and I know a couple of people are feeling anxious about new people coming in and decreasing the access we have and whether or not they will fit in with us. Meh...I say the more the merrier. The past month we have enjoyed going on a float trip, dinner parties, exploring Jeff City, shopping adventures to the outlet mall, and going to the movies. It is slightly comical that that is what we have done in one month of third year cause that would have been a run down of a whole years events during second year. The freedom feels pretty great. 

More changes to update you on later. Just not quite yet though :)

No comments: