Thursday, March 31, 2011

Can I just take one for the team?

Well the results are in and it isn't positive. My mom tested BRCA2 positive. That means Maura and I have a 50% chance of having the BRCA gene passed on. Not only would we be at an extremely heightened chance of getting breast cancer but also other cancers such as ovarian, pancreatic, and ironically melanoma. Being fair skinned and red headed, we are already at an increased risk and with the BRCA gene we would be in the top tier. I don't want this for my mom, I don't want this for my sister.

On the flip side, this means that my mom will likely receive increased observation and if Maura or I turn out to be BRCA2 positive then we will also receive the increased screening. It makes me so mad that insurance refused to cover this testing because my mom didn't have two relatives that were diagnosed with breast cancer. Health insurance is a blessing and a curse. Cancer is always a curse.

Out of the two of us, I want to be the one that tests positive. I have all the signs for being BRCA2 positive. It would explain my constant anemia and the melanoma scares. I don't want to see my sister have to go through what my mom is going through or worse, not being able to have children. I would much rather be sidelined and only be allowed to be an aunt than my sister have to deal with going through a reproductive cancer and be forced to give up her dream of having kids.

Hopefully the coin will flip the right way this time.

1 comment:

jessica raney said...

You're such a good person. Enough said.