This year has been full of changes. Probably the best way I can recap the year is with some of my favorite pictures.
Last May, baby Joey was welcomed into the world. I count myself blessed to be able to call him my "nephew".

A year ago in May I was still working at the hospital 12-14 hours a day. I was informed at the end of that month that I had been accepted into the Biomedical Sciences program at AT Still University-Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. It was a pretty quick turn around to get moved by the time classes started at the beginning of July.
My mom, Maura and I packed up my things in the back of a rental truck and made the 2000 mile journey to northeast Missouri. It was a great trip with the route decided by the location of the nearest Starbucks.
This picture basically fits Maura and I to a T.
I started the Biomed program on July 7th and have since focused my masters on researching melanoma.
The first year class consists of eleven of us. We have a pretty great group who have made this year a blast.

Being away from Washington and coming back to visit makes me realize how amazing it is. There are a lot of things I miss about the PNW (the people, places, food....) but I wouldn't change my decision to venture out.
In between studying, we find time to keep ourselves entertained. This is my friend Nadira and I.
Being unable to spend time and missing the big moments of the people I love is real tough but they make coming back to visit oh so sweet.


One of the most amazing things that I have done this year was spending my spring break in Haiti. We cared for the victims of the earthquake that occurred two months prior.
-This was most of the KCOM group beginning the adventure.

-We dealt with some crazy travel delays and spent many hours in various airports.

-The destruction we saw can not be accurately described in words or pictures. It was overwhelming and humbling.
-Our translators helped to make the experience unforgettable.

-The people were so appreciative of us being there. It was really hard to leave this little girl behind. Absolutely loved her.

No comments:
Post a Comment