Well, after only two days as a member of the Evergreen Hospital HazMat team I was officially taken off the roster. Dang, just when I was going to petition to get jackets with HazMat patches on them. My director decided he didn't want me involved in such things because I was the most educated person on the roster and feared that they might rely on me too much. It was me and then some housekeeping people and a few maintanence guys, but I was the only one with a college degree and actually work with chemicals. During the training I had to listen to people freaking out about when they have to clean up blood because of the potential they might get TB or something. Makes me laugh, I work with the most dangerous chemical in the hospital which is formalin and is a carcinogen and I have to go help do bone marrows on people that have HIV/AIDS and TB. Rarely, if ever do we get a patient with TB and if we do, there are signs everywhere warning you to take the proper precautions. Some people make me laugh. My coworker is one of those people that is freaked out about catching something from a patient. I did my first complete bone marrow this week, having never done a complete one before and not truly informed on what all I had to do because the person had HIV and my coworker was terrified it might splash into her eye. Maybe I am not cautious enough but honestly I am just there to help do the tests to try and get the patient the proper treatment they need. Whatever.
On a med school note, my application which I submitted to the Osteopathic Application Committee for review in July and is supposed to take 4-8 weeks for them to review, it still is processing. It is getting to be at the edge of the maximum time and I am getting really restless. I want it to be processed and sent so I can do secondaries as soon as I get them from the schools. I was told in March by KCOM that they wanted to interview me in October but they can't do so without my application in. This is getting to be really frustrating. Okay, time to go out and relax with one of my girlfriends.
No comments:
Post a Comment